Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Look165 Look165 is offline

Default Full wave voltage reading

NO ; with today's DMM the value is only true with sine wave.
Some use triangular signal, other Dirac comb.
They sample the signal and then computation and mathematical process.
The older one (AMM) were making true measurement with a rectifier and a
filtering cap.

This is particularly obvious in Amperemeter operations.

Phil Hobbs a écrit le 09/07/2019 Ã* 00:16Â*:
On 7/8/19 2:04 PM, Look165 wrote:
I got a problem measuring efficienty on an SMPS unit.

The meter I used was indicating about 50% which was absurd.
I brought my personal old analog meter, it said about 85% !
That's why I don't like todays's meters.

You can get a true-RMS meter for way under $50.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs