Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Urban Jeff Urban is offline

Default SMPS troubleshooting

I have not been able to find schematics, and the manufacturer ignores me.

They ignore everybody. What you have to learn is reverse engineering, if you want to make fifty bucks an hour that is what you have to do.

You are lucky to be dealing with a problem like that. Follow those wires, and dealing with power those are big traces on the board you can see. I might be able yo show you if you brought a six pack, but I can't really even think of how I could tell you.

I financed four childhoods on this and I still can't explain it.

I mean mine...

You have to figure out **** on your own. That board, usually there is a ground plane, power plane. You CANNOT find out how it it but you know how IT HAS TO BE.

Get it in your head "How they make this mother****ingtron do what it does ?".

Take that attitude. I made more money than many engineers. But you do have to know theory.

One of these days I think I am going to publish a course in the basics that doesn't require degrees in Latin and calculus. It is so much simpler than they make it seem.

On a certain unit if you are really dumbfuddled, think "I have to do this, how do I do it ?". Approach it from the beginning.

But you have to learn it, I could not do it in 400 pages. I mean learn to disconnect this and that and take readings and all that, how to figure out how to fake the thing out to run with a few things missing. People have begged me to teach it.

Like a Dojo, you do not want to stand to with me when it comes to this. But I am not malicious, it is just a matter of not typing, or answering the phone, or email, or even the door. (I got Hydra-shoks) I get too ****ed off I just remove myself from that person's life. After a month they get the idea - YOU ARE ****ING GONE. And more than half of them owe me money.

I got a bit ****ed off at the boss and didn't answer the phone, he showed up at my house. I NEVER GAVE HIM MY ADDRESS !

Anyway online there are many articles on the different types of switching regulators, boost or buck, doesn't matter. Learn how the HAVE to work and then go down in there.