Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Netbook, back again

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 09:28:48 +0100, ss wrote:

Having another attempt to get this netbook working on wi-fi.

It connects to the web if connected to the ethernet cable.

So that tells us it is able to handle TCPIP on the wired port. I can't
remember if you set static entries for the Ethernet but if you didn't
that would suggest DCHP was also working ok.

I have been putting in the various codes / passwords for the router but
then get this message.....

That worries me. There is (normally) only *one* right code and it
shouldn't be a lottery. It is also case sensitive so you must follow
that as well.

"It is asking for a network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits
depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as a 5 or
13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters".

As others have said it suggests it thinks the router is using WEP and
whilst that shouldn't be a problem re connection, it isn't an ideal
solution in general.

The above does not relate to anything on the router label, I have tried
all the numbers/passwords to no avail.

See above.

Anyone know what or where I get this?

What I would still like to hear is that you have booted that netbook
from a Linux USB live image and that the wireless connects (or
doesn't). [1]

A successful connection would prove two things. 1) You are using the
right 'code' and 2) the hardware is compatible.

That's not to say that the Windows drivers were correct ... and I have
had it where an automagically installed (WiFi in this case) driver
doesn't work whereas the one from the WiFi card manufacturer does.

As an aside ... I have also replaced WiFi cards with devices that were
'Linux Compatible' (OOTB) as it was often easier than trying to get
them working in Linux. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. How well did you get on connecting the Netbook to someone else's
(friend / family / iNetCafe) router?

[1] It's only a few clicks to make a bootable Linux USB stick ...

1) Download this file:
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/w...mate-32bit.iso

2) Download and install this USB imaging software (others are
available):
https://unetbootin.github.io/

Open the link here and follow the steps:
https://unetbootin.github.io/#install

Just make sure you have selected the right USB device before hitting
Go! ;-)

Reboot the netbook with the USB stick plugged in and see if you get
the option to boot from it with the popup boot options (F10 etc)?

If it boots, use the 'Try' (not install) option and once at the
desktop, see if the networking icon shows any WiFi networks and if it
does and it shows yours, can you connect to it.