Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Anybody ever painted a phone?

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 14:15:26 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 7/6/19 1:54 PM, wrote:
Any advice would be appreciated.

Krylon makes spray paint specifically for painting plastic surfaces.
Take some carbide sand paper and scuff the shine off first for a
better result.

Agreed. That's probably the easy and right way to do it.

However, following convention is not my idea of fun. Instead, I
suggest using fabric dye made for coloring synthetic (usually plastic)
materials.
https://frontstreet.media/2016/07/13/tech-plastic-dyeing-the-permanent-solution-and-alternative-to-painting/
https://www.ehow.com/how_8550306_dye-plastic-rit-dye.html
https://www.ritdye.com/type/dyemore-for-synthetics/
The bad news is that it's easy to dye a light colored plastic to
something darker, but not the other way around. Dark colored plastics
will need to be painted.

It might be a bit tricky testing the dye process if you only have a
single telephone. Worse, the handset might be made from a different
plastic from the instrument case. Anyway, if using dye fails, you
could always try again using paint.

Drivel: My father was in the petticoat and lingerie manufacturing
business. All the material was mostly nylon. We discovered that we
could save quite a bit of money on material if we bought white nylon
net and thread, and then dyed them whatever colors were needed. So,
my mother and I spent countless hours at the kitchen sink dyeing white
nylon into about 10 basic colors. Also, during the cold war era,
there was a demand for red "hot line" phones. Somehow, I didn't think
of trying to make one by painting or dyeing a phone red.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558