Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John-Del[_2_] John-Del[_2_] is offline

Default Weather Station

On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 10:11:54 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 15:54:24 -0700, OGX wrote:

not on for a wild goose chases.

You don't know what you're missing [1].

I guess no one here knows much about solar panels or charging 3 AA cells
and what is needed.

True. Nobody here knows anything that will help you deduce what has
failed without you taking down the wx station, cleaning out the
inevitable corrosion, inspecting the batteries, and making a few
measurements. However, you're in luck here. I've had some experience
with both the WS-1200 and WS-1201-IP.

Spare parts. Sorry, no solar cells:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewswestre1.html
The WS-1200 uses rechargeable alkaline batteries.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1000batt.html
Rechargeable alkaline batteries are only a little better than junk.
They cannot be recharged to 100% of original capacity and are only
good for a limited number of partial recharges. It doesn't take much
to kill them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_alkaline_battery
The capacity of a recharged alkaline battery declines
with number of recharges, until it becomes unusable
after typically about ten cycles.
So, every time you run the weather station batteries down to zero
(such as after a cloudy winter), you kill one of the 9 lives of this
cat. Ambient is apparently aware of the problem as the newer
WS-1201-IP uses a super capacitor instead of batteries. I suspect you
could replace the 3 AA cells with a super capacitor:
https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1200ip.html#caption
Note: The WS-1201-IP replaces the WS-1200-IP. The WS-1200-IP
uses rechargeable batteries that are charged by a solar collector.
The WS-1201-IP uses a super capacitor for energy storage, and
is charged by the solar collector in the day, and
non-rechargeable batteries at night.
I think you'll find that the batteries are dead, your solar cells are
just fine, and you'll either be making a phone call to Ambient to see
if they offer an upgrade to the WS-1201-IP, or buying 3 more
rechargeable alkaline cells.

[1] I've been doing morning exercise walks in a local county park,
which feature a pond inhabited by a family of Canadian geese.

Canada geese Jeff. No citizenship granted...