Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stacked set screws?

On 2019-06-12, Jim Wilkins wrote:

[ ... ]

This suggests that adding a second set screw to lock the first does
help.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-screws.36903/

What's your experience?

The web site insists that I register or log in, so I've seen
nothing of that site.

I know that in the Bridgeport spindle for R8 collets there is
one place where a dog-point setscrew is topped by a setscrew which is
ground short enough so the Allen key can pass though the top one to
adjust the protrusion of the dog point. Then you back out the key so it
turns only the fully hollow setscrew to tighten it to lock the other in
place.

I also have used a square-headed setscrew over a normal setscrew
to lock it in place in the squirrel-cage blower in my furnace. That has
worked well compared to using only the original setscrew.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail