Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Best files for aluminium, best ways to clean them and avoidclogging

On 05/07/2019 18:38, les24preludes wrote:
Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a file card for starters, and four different files - first cut, dreadnaught, *******, millenicut. Getting myself ready!

The best method of cleaning a file I was taught was to use a small piece
of brass sheet maybe 1/2" to 3/4" wide and around 18swg - 16swg and long
enough to grip, 2" or so, and push it into the teeth at about 45 degrees
and push it parallel to the teeth and it will clean the file far better
than a file card in my experience. By pushing the brass down on to the
teeth it is soft enough to form little teeth which shifts any debris
stuck between the teeth.

My favourite file for finishing work is a mill saw file as they seem to
give a better finish as they don't have the little nicks along the teeth.