Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Best files for aluminium, best ways to clean them and avoid clogging

On Friday, July 5, 2019 at 5:54:31 AM UTC-4, les24preludes wrote:
I'll be working on some aluminium rod for razor handles, so looking at purchasing some files that I can keep clean for this. I'm thinking first cut, but open to ideas. Dreadnaught may be too coarse since the parts are 85x16mm but could be a starter file. Ideas?

There are at least two files made for filing aluminum. One is a Type A file. I do not know what the other type is called. The type A is better for filing small things as the other type has a very course pattern. I would look in McMaster Carr or MSC catalogs. Can not help you on places as I got most of my files at Boeing Surplus years ago.

Dan