Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx[_3_] amdx[_3_] is offline

Default DeOxit as a corrosion inhibitor

On 6/20/2019 5:20 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jun 2019 08:14:16 -0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

In watching the video, I was wondering how the Rtv acedic acid reacted with
steel. I coated and removed cured rtv from copper sheet, no corrosion.

"Can acetic acid dissolve steel?"
https://www.quora.com/Can-acetic-acid-dissolve-steel

"What are the products of acetic acid and copper?"
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-products-of-acetic-acid-and-copper

Any mild acid (including oleic acid) will remove the oxide layer from
copper. However, if left on the copper contacts, it will eventually
corrode the copper. This is the label from a bottle of Cramolin red,
from when it contained oleic acid:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/Cramolin%20R-100L/index.html
"Wipe off excess with a lint-free cloth or swab."

Ancient Cramolin R100L MSDS data:
http://store.caig.com/core/media/media.nl?id=808&c=ACCT113328&h=3f8d8512c835e9a69f6 4&whence=
Mentions "mineral oil" twice.

Whatever it was, I removed old NOS stuff like silver plated switches.
Around the switch was a piece of paper looking sheet. One side said towards
part. Any part sticking out of paper had turned black. I still have some
pads to stick inside sensitive equipment said to protect. Never tried them.

That's tarnish (sulfur compounds). Some clues from how to clean brass
clock mechanisms:
https://www.snclocks.com/TechnicalInformation/Tid-Bits/Clock-Cleaning-Solution/

All very interesting and ties into my latest purchase. I bought a
metal brake to bend flashing in my house. It came coated in oil, which I
removed just by wiping with a paper towel, because it was so messy.
Within two days in my screened porch it started to rust. So while I'm
not using it, I used motor oil on a paper towel to re-oil the metal
surfaces.
This will be a rarely used tool, and will be stored in my non-climate
controlled outdoor shed.

How do I best protect the surface

Ditto, my new drill press!.

Mikek