Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Hickok 440 Curve Tracer Repair Help

On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 6:54:49 AM UTC-7, Don Brown wrote:
I have a Hickok 440 curve tracer that I am having difficulty troubleshooting, even though it is a relatively simple circuit.

The base generator staircase is not stable

Typically, there's a monostable making a current pulse into a capacitor for each step.
If the capacitor is an electrolytic, it may be leaky now (but run the staircase
overnight before you replace parts, it may be that some ON-time will reform
the oxide layer). If the monostable has a capacitor, it is also a suspect (unstable times).

Resetting the staircase there's a charge-dump (transistor?) that could be leaky, or its
drive might be picking up noise. Hanging an o-scope probe onto the step generator
to show the rise/plateau qualities will tell where the problem lies.