Posted to alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Xeno Xeno is offline

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to tricklewith load present?

On 22/6/19 9:33 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 23:57:52 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 22:57:44 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

On 21/06/2019 21:19, Commander Kinsey wrote:
How does a lead acid battery charger (or car alternator) know when to
switch to trickle charge?* I can understand it noticing a drop in
charging current if the battery is on its own, but what if a random
changing load is connected, as there is in a running car?

The voltage perhaps.

Why would the voltage change?

That's the way batterys work, the battery voltage does change as its
charged.

That's determined by the alternator or charger.

Nope.

Yip.* I can put any voltage I like across a battery's terminals.* The
battery then chooses how much current is drawn.

Let's say the charger/alternator gives out 14.4V initially, to charge
the
battery quickly.* It'll just sit at 14.4V forever, providing the charger
can give out enough current to charge the slightly flat battery and
power
any connected loads.

Its more complicated than that with the current going to the battery
and the
battery is charged.

If the battery had no loads connected, it would take a lot less current
when it became full, but the voltage would stay the same.

No it doesn't even with a very crude battery charger.

For example, I'm currently keeping my car's battery topped up with a
bench supply overnight.* It's set to 13.8V, with a current limiter only
to prevent overloading the supply.* The voltage stays at 13.8V all the
time, sometimes 100mA is drawn, sometimes up to 4A.* The only way I or
the supply can tell the battery is full, is by the current dropping to
100mA.* But it's actually always full, as when 4A is drawn, that's going
to a load.

If the charger monitored the current it was providing, how does it
know if
the battery is still charging at 10 amps, or if the battery is full and
there's a 10 amp load?

By checking the current actually being delivered to the battery.

I guess that may be true, if the car's computer has two ammeters and
subtracts one from the other.** But AFAIK, the alternator regulator only
works by it's own current sensor.* And that current could be going into
the battery, or past it to the loads.

Nope, the alternator regulator is sensing only *voltage*.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)