Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default chip breakers for plastics

On 6/21/2019 9:32 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

wrote in message

I am trying to help a guy who is opening a machine shop. Which is
kind of comical since I have no experience in commercial
machining.

He has a job machining peek plastic. And has a problem with long
strings of the plastic jamming the chip conveyor. Now I am a
novice but do know enough when confronted with a problem the first
thing to do is find out what others have done. So how do you deal
with strings of plastic?

When manual machining plastics I just pause feeding te avoid
having one long chip. But maybe there is a better way. This is
being done on a cnc turning center.

Dan

************

Never having used a real turning center my feedback may be moot, but
what I have done on the manual lathe is make sure my cutter is very
sharp, cranked up the RPM and placed a garbage can where the arc of
the chip shooting out into space is piling up.

My biggest issue with plastic on the lathe otherwise was it getting
into my chuck and gumming it up. Had to take it all apart. Not
just pull the jaws.

What did you lubricate it with?

Same thing I use for almost everything now. SC520 and distilled water.
One of the very few things I use spray mist for. In fact the only thing
I can think of in some years where mist is better than flood. (High
(relative) rpm with no enclosure.)