Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default chip breakers for plastics

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 04:51:28 -0700, wrote:

I am trying to help a guy who is opening a machine shop. Which is kind
of comical since I have no experience in commercial machining.

He has a job machining peek plastic. And has a problem with long
strings of the plastic jamming the chip conveyor. Now I am a novice
but do know enough when confronted with a problem the first thing to do
is find out what others have done. So how do you deal with strings of
plastic?

I don't think any sort of classic chip breaker like for metal will work.
The stuff is PLASTIC, of course, and therefore will just curl around
anything like that. Some plastics also produce a HUGE static charge when
cut, so the chips stick to everything.

Jon