Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DeOxit as a corrosion inhibitor

"How corrosion inhibitors protect metal: synthesis in
the lab and testing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpRrP3sqQLw (23:01)

This video isn't really about DeOxit but does offer a good clue as to
the formulation and how it works. The video does a better job of
explaining what's happening than I could, so I won't repeat much of
its contents.

He mentions that his inspiration came from this patent:
"Corrosion inhibited lubricant composition"
https://patents.google.com/patent/US4193882

Note that Camolin Red, the predecessor of DeOxit, shows 5% oleic acid
and 95% "volatile hydrocarbons and propellant". I had been assuming
that the hydrocarbons were just mineral oil or something similar.
Apparently not. I'm also assuming that the steel corrosion protection
that DeOxit shows in the video, also applies to copper wire and silver
plated contacts.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D