Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Noisy repeater output

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 14:16:05 +0200, Eremita Analogico
wrote:

Put some external -10dB attenuators in line and see if the junk
(noise) decreases. If it decreases more than -10dB, then it's being
generated in the SA by your overload. If it drops exactly -10DB, then
it's real.

Please do the above test with a 10dB attenuator. If the spurious
noise drops 10dB, then you have a real problem. If the noise drops
more then 10dB, the noise is being generated inside the spectrum
analyzer.

We have tryed with Procom and Motorola duplexers, both with 3 adjustable
cavities for RX path and another 3 adjustable cavities for TX path.
The same duplexers work perfectly with a repeater built with two
separate Simoco SRM9000, without any desensization of RX unit when the
TX is operated.
Thus, I think that the PA of Vertex VRX7000 has some issues, but I never
seen noises of that type. I wolud expect some harmonics.
The internal supply can do this noise?

The spectrum analyzer picture shows that you are operating on 162.4
MHz.
https://i.postimg.cc/3JhhbHpC/IMG-3321-1.jpg
In the USA, that's one of the weather stations broadcast frequencies.
http://weatherradios.com/stations-and-frequencies
I have no idea what 162.4MHz might be used for in Italy.

You haven't supplied any additional information on the equipment
you're using, duplex split frequency, and available test equipment.
The HP spectrum analyzer will survive the obvious overload, but I'm
not sure if it will produce usable measurements (without spurious
noise). As I mentioned, try reducing the input level with an
additional attenuator and see if the spurs disappear.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D