Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stacked set screws?

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On 6/11/2019 6:49 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
My home made sawmill uses L095 Lovejoy couplers to connect the
engine
to the transmission, and their set screws loosen unless I pull very
hard on a long hex wrench. The cause may be the large inertia of
the
bandsaw wheels, which are from a motorcycle. When the
vee-belt-tightening drive clutch is loose the belt slips freely
over
the pulleys, but when stopping the belt still grabs enough to spin
the
engine after it's shut off. Thus the couplers see torque in both
directions.

This suggests that adding a second set screw to lock the first does
help.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...-screws.36903/

What's your experience?

I remember something like that being done for an air metering screw
on a PCP air rifle. First set screw obstructs the passage, and the
second one backs it up and locks it in place.

https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-conte...010catalog.pdf
I hadn't noticed Chart 1 which gives a Service Factor torque
multiplier of 2.2 for a 1-cylinder engine driving a bandsaw mill. A
larger coupler is on order.

My log splitter (SF=2.0) came with an L095 and hasn't given trouble
running almost at the limit for a black Buna rubber spider. The same
engine and coupler on the sawmill (SF=2.2) damaged the spider.