Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Constant shop vac filter clog

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:52:12 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 13:42:53 -0400, Meanie wrote:

On 6/12/2019 9:46 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/11/2019 10:25 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 6/11/2019 9:13 PM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/11/2019 8:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided
it's time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't
anything to stop sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator.
Thus, anyone have any suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a
cyclone separator?

I just use these expensive paper bags in my Fein to collect the big
stuff and their HEPA filter to keep anything escaping (plaster dust,
for example) from blowing through and have no problem with clogging.
You don't say what sort of filtration your vac has. Maybe that is the
basis of the problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How are you using the paper bag in a shop vac? I'm still using the
original paper filter that came with the vac.

I do have a dust collection system for my bigger tools but use the
shop vac for smaller hand tools and of course to clean the shop mess.

Don't know what you mean by "how". The bags in question are meant for
the vacuum in question -- see the little port in the side of the bag
where the hose feeds in. The paper is thin and has a very large surface
area, doubled over in the large canister, and the motor is very powerful
so it just sucks air through the bag's surface leaving the dross behind
inside. Anything super-fine that gets through the bag is trapped by the
HEPA filter. Theoretically I don't think that both methods are meant to
be used together but I do it anyway. I don't know if your vac has any
such option but mine, being German, is probably over-engineered
(probably over-priced too but nothing I can do about that).

I found that my DC _did_ get clogged by fine dust when I was doing a lot
of heavy sanding and the bag had to be beaten to loosen it. I set up a
kludge with a second bag and that alleviated the problem but didn't
eliminate it.

The bag looks like one for an upright vacuum which is why I asked. Shop
vacs (at least mine and most) have the conical filter which wraps around
the center exhaust. I've never seen a bag for one.

It may be a European thing. Festool vacs use bags too.

One of the BORG vacs (Ridgid) I bought has a bag. I was rather
surprised by it.