Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On Sun, 19 May 2019 09:05:04 -0700, wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2019 14:22:03 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

On 5/17/2019 7:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders.* It’s a
1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find
used.* That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders
to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be.* I
hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem.* There is a tool in the holder and its well
secured.* I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new
hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not.* I'd
like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to
press it out.

I think that ultimately the screw exerts greater pressure on the threads
when I try to turn it because it is cracked. IE: Tries to expand.

Drill into the screw with a drill that is the slightly less than the
minor diameter of the thread until the drill is almost as deep as the
bottom of the screw. Then go into the same hole with a flat bottom
drill, still keeping away from the very bottom of the screw. This will
allow the screw to relax away from the tool in the toolholder. After
removing the tool go back into the hole a third time with the flat
bottom drill and it should just screw out of the hole.
Eric

That is a very good method.

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---