Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Constant shop vac filter clog

On 6/11/2019 7:34 PM, Meanie wrote:
I'm tired of the sawdust induced filter in my shop vac and decided it's
time to get a better filter, which I assume there isn't anything to stop
sawdust clogging, or make a cyclone separator. Thus, anyone have any
suggestions for a filter or easy plans for a cyclone separator?

These filters, because of an old inferior vac design will always clog
quickly. I had one and bought the expensive replacement filter. The
only thing I gained was a faster to clean filter. I had to unclog it
just as often.

All better vacs, home, shop, what ever, have the debris go into the bag
and then the filter works on the fine dust that passes through the
collection bag.

If you stick with a typical shop vac you need to use something like a
cyclone prefilter,

Festool and probably Fein have all debris go straight into the bag and
the exhaust then passes through a HEPA filter. My 10 year old Festool
HEPA filters have never been cleaned and appear to never need to be cleaned.

FWIW my CT 22 Festool Vac gets used on all of my Festool sanders, Track
Saw, and Domino. I do not run any of these tools with out that Festool vac.
I change bags, on a heavy year of usage, twice a year and then I toss
them. Keep in mind this does not collect planer, drum sander, lathe, or
table saw dust. The Festool bags are very efficient, the 22 liter bag
is packed solidly full before I notice any loss in suction.