Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sub Panel neutral bonding

On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 06:14:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Until you get a local ground electrode out there I would be careful
bonding anything. It is best to drive 2 rods 6 feet or more apart.

Ground rods alone are not a good substitute for the the 4th ground WIRE.

I think you need to run the 4th wire so the safety ground is WIRED.

Even the best ground rod is many ohms

True but the code allowed you to use the neutral for a ground until
the 1996 cycle was adopted and there are plenty of 3 wire feeders,
dryers and ranges out there.
In the case of a second building you always need a ground electrode
and even on those old ranges and dryers, the manufacturer's
instructions suggested a supplemental grounding wire. In those days it
went to a cold water pipe. Now that it is becoming rare to find metal
pipe, that doesn't really work.