Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On 2019-05-18, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. It?s a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Understood.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

First off -- is it possible that the hex socket is metric
instead of imperial (or imperial if you are using a metric hex key set)?

But -- if you are willing to spend some money to be prepared for
future problems like this -- there is a set of tools for drilling out
taps -- and which will work on hardened setscrews too.

Look for "omegadrill" (Omegadrill set # OD-SET 1). They have a
URL on the box www.omegadrill.com. I got mine from MSC a while back.
They are sometimes offered in their sales flyers -- but be sitting down
when you look at the price. MSC's regular web price at the moment is
$162.51. I could not find it in the flyer within easy reach. MSC's
part number is: 77215606. You can check the other three sources below
for the set -- or perhaps even be able to buy individual drills (the
most expensive part of the 4-drill set).

You did not mention the size of the setscrew. Is this like the
Aloris sets -- just one of the clones? If so, a 200 size is like the
BXA size. For those, the OD-3/16 might fit down into the socket to
start the drilling on center, and the OD-1/4 could likely drill out the
setscrew to near the bottom of the threads. These are the two largest
bits in the set. And it is likely that the screws are a metric
setscrew close to a 5/16" Imperial one. (About 8mm).

The bits look quite weird, but work well in a rigid machine.

O.K. Their "where to buy" link points to two I know and two I
don't

MSC Industrial Supply, 1-800-645-7270
www.mscdirect.com

McMaster-Carr Supply, 1-630-833-0300
www.mcmaster.com

Airgas Rutland Tool, 1-800-289-4787
www.rutlandtool.com

Travers Tool Company, 1-800-221-0270
www.travers.com

Anyway -- loosen or remove all the other setscrews, clamp the
holder in a vise, and drill through the setscrew until the tool becomes
a little loose in the holder. Then pull it out, and move up to the next
size of bit from the omegadrill set and keep going. Hopefully, when it
bites in, it will spin the screw down into the channel the tool shank
normally fits in.

Another possibility -- check if there is clearance between the
top of the tool shank and the top of the shank channel in the holder.
If so -- try an abrasive disc -- something like the ones in Dremel sets,
but likely you'll need a larger diameter. I have one about 3" diameter
driven by a compressed air tool -- assuming you have an air compressor.
I got this at a local auto parts place for not too much money. Given
this, you may be able to cut through the bottom end of the setscrew,
remove the tool, and then remove the top half of the setscrew.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail