Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On 5/17/19 9:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders.Â* Its a 1/2 inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used.Â* That being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be.Â* I hate to pitch a tool holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem.Â* There is a tool in the holder and its well secured.Â* I want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not.Â* I'd like to save the tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.

If there is some exposed screw where it contacts the tool bit, use a cutoff disc in a Dremel tool to cut through the screw. That will relieve the pressure on the screw and should allow you to back it out.