Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How To: Remove a cracked set screw

On 5/17/2019 11:23 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2019 23:53:32 -0400, Gerry
wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2019 10:23:48 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:43:54 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

There is a cracked set screw in one of m Kwik 200 tool holders. Its a 1/2
inch holder so its one of the most common and cheapest to find used. That
being said there aren't as many used Kwik 200 tool holders to be found on
the most obvious source (Ebay) as their used to be. I hate to pitch a tool
holder I already have over such a cheap part.

Here is the problem. There is a tool in the holder and its well secured. I
want to take the tool out, but even a clean crisp brand new hex key just
pops around like the screw is rounded, but its not. I'd like to save the
tool in the holder other wise I might be tempted to press it out.
Try drilling out the set screw. Often one can drill a hole lengthwise
through a screw/bolt which seems to release some of the tension and
allows the resulting "tube" to be removed easily with an "easyout".

Even fairly hard set screws can be drilled with a high speed drill bit
at low cutting speeds and high feed pressure.

Have you tried a left spiral drill bit? I prefer them over so-called
"easy-out" by 1000 to 1.

The "easy-outs" I use are a tapered square ground from a high speed
tool bit. We found that the ones with the L.H. (sort of) screw thread
were a bit too much as if you drilled the correct size hole the
easy-out would never slip... it would break instead and getting the
broken easy-out, out of the broken bolt, was even more difficult than
removing the bolt itself :-(

As for L.H. drill bits, I never had access to any but they should work
well. I've seen screws or small bolts get hand loose when a hole was
drilled all the way through. If a L.H. drill bit was used then "Bob's
your Uncle" and it would be out all ready :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Â* I got my set of LH bits at Horrible Fright ... and they hold up
reasonably well unless you try to drill hardened steel . OTOH there's a
set of stripped screw removers out in my toolbox that came from Sears ,
It would probably work in Bob's case since they are a better grade of
hardened steel . Got a set for rounded bolt heads too ... and they work
on stripped out allen head cap screws .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old