Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Gas Boiler lifetime

The problem is that companies like British gas seem to always condemn
boilers and then offer what seems a good deal on a new one. I suspect some
kind of scam going on myself. I have a friend who went down this route and
the new one has been nothing but trouble cutting out and the old pipe work
making strange noises despite being flushed etc. Next time they will not be
so hasty to get new boiler I can tell you.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 17/05/2019 21:43, Vir Campestris wrote:
In 2010 my mother replaced her gas boiler. Old cast iron lump with
vertical flue with a Glow Worm. Supplied by British Gas. Even though I
told her not to...

It's gone wrong, and the guy looking at it reckons it's had it. That's a
surprise to me... is it likely, or is he another cowboy?

Assuming it isn't repairable, what's the current view on boiler
manufacturers?

Why do you assume that? Most gas fitters, or their wives/partners, make
more money by dismantling and selling the bits. It's a very buoyant market
created by so many being persuaded to get a new boiler when the old one
just needs a new part.

Find out what's wrong and use ebay!