Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Carriage lock screw - Any reason not to

On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:28:15 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
On my lathe that part is a hunk of steel some trade school student
hogged out to replace the missing original. I filed and block-sanded
it until the end mill marks were the same degree of barely visible all
over.

Yeah, it's amazing what you can do with simple hand tools with a bit of
training, thought and wana-get-it-done attitude

A guide pin or two for that part on my lathe would help a lot. Or so I
think it would. If I was moving it often I would probably work on it
some more. The real solution for slick operation would be Steve's mod:

http://bedair.org/9x20camlock/9x20camlock.html

or something similar.

There are only a few days a year that I can comfortably work on it or
with it. Most of the time I end up taking care of stuff that just won't
wait any longer...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI