Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
pjp[_2_] pjp[_2_] is offline

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

In article , lcgh-
says...

On Wed, 15 May 2019 19:34:55 -0300, pjp
wrote:

Thank God new to me car I just bought has fancy lcd screen type
interface. I finally have a car stereo plays mp3 directly from a cd and
includes usb and aux inputs as well. Only issue is you have to copy mp3
and picture files off the usb onto it's internal 30Gb hard drive and it
doesn't seem able to just play them directly off the usb device. Other
than takes times to copy not any real issue. Play does Random ... yea
haw!!! but looking at them they are in alphabetical order.

My KIA Sorento only took 8-1/2 HOURS to load my 8100 songs from the
USB.

Well this Chrylser only took approx 2 hours for 2,200 songs so seems
about same. Therefore I suspect more like I assume both are using USB
1.x and not even USB 2.x.

Just a bit of a drag can't simply play them directly from a flashdrive.
If I want to do that I'd need to use some external player and feed that
into the stereo's aux input. I notice it will also copy cds to the hard
disk. I suspect they'd be stored similar to a wav file and that would
chew up space fast on the small hard disk. I assume it would not do any
automatic compression of any sort so instead of a 5Mb mp3 file you'd end
up with a 50Mb wav file (or similar format). I can live with any slight
quality loss mp4's exibit, at almost 70 and one ear noticably different
in freguency range than the other it's a moot issue.

And just to add, stereo also will display pics but not videos, go
figure.

I add a character (~) to the end of song titles of songs I really
like, and add it twice (~~) to indicate my "top 60" favorites. Since
it is the last character in the field, it does not affect sorting.
After a recent KIA recall software upgrade (apparently unrelated to
the radio at all), the "random" order setting insisted on playing only
those from the Top 60, although those were played in random order. I
had to rename the files on the USB stick to change ~~ to just ~ on
those files, and then reload them all again to get it to work
properly. It reloads all instead of just changed or new files(another
8.5 hours).

Are they using Windows-10 as a software base grin?

-dan z-