Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk[_2_] Leon Fisk[_2_] is offline

Default Carriage lock screw - Any reason not to

On Thu, 16 May 2019 12:56:19 -0400
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

snip
You might try facing the bolt head and nut bearing surfaces square
with the shank and threads to see if that makes the tailstock lock and
release with less rotation.

My lathe's tailstock was refitted with a 1/2-13 bolt that clamps tight
(enough) or fully releases in 1/8 of a turn. I found an old wrench
like this and made a hex nut+washer that is 0.80" across the flats to
fit it.
https://www.ebay.com/i/183811511075?chn=ps

I'm sure that wouldn't make it any worse but the main problem is part
#1021 rocks around, sloppy below the bed. So if you loosen the bolt
slightly (actually the nut I see) and then try to move the tailstock it
jams up by going a little cockeyed. The spring I put above #1021 helped
by keeping some downward pressure on it.

https://i.postimg.cc/k57CcpQD/tailstock-parts.jpg

For what I do with it the ratchet wrench and spring combo works good
enough

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI