Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carriage lock screw - Any reason not to

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message
On 16 May 2019 02:20:55 GMT
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ...

snip
I bought a cheap set of HF metric ratchet wrenches that have
reverse on
them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-m...set-68833.html

I leave the 12mm on/in the tail stock locking bolt. One more idea

Cheap and not capable of much torque -- but quite likely
sufficient for your specified needs.

DoN, if you see the tail-stock it makes a lot more sense:

https://i.postimg.cc/rFQzNcW0/Lathe-9x20-tailstock.jpg

They just give you a bolt head to secure the tail-stock. You can't
quite release it with one grab using a standard wrench. So you have
fiddle with the wrench on/off the head to both loosen and tighten
the
tail-stock.

I also added a spring underneath between the wedging nut and the
stock.
Helps to release it a bit sooner.

What it really needs is the cam-lock mod but I'm lazy...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

You might try facing the bolt head and nut bearing surfaces square
with the shank and threads to see if that makes the tailstock lock and
release with less rotation.

My lathe's tailstock was refitted with a 1/2-13 bolt that clamps tight
(enough) or fully releases in 1/8 of a turn. I found an old wrench
like this and made a hex nut+washer that is 0.80" across the flats to
fit it.
https://www.ebay.com/i/183811511075?chn=ps