Posted to alt.home.repair
Biff Tannen[_2_] Biff Tannen[_2_] is offline

Default Double-sided, through-wall outlet boxes - don't exist?

On 5/16/19 8:56 AM, Home Guy wrote:
I'm installing a couple ceiling fans in adjacent roons and was going to install the switch controls on opposite sides of the same wall, at the same location.

I'm thinking there is, of course, such a thing as a two-sided, through-wall outlet box.Â* Because 2x4's and drywall are standardized enough so you can make a box that will work for this application -right?

I do some web-searching and come across some post in some DYI forum from 10+ years ago where someone is asking the same question, and no, for some reason there is no such box.

I also come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg7XdoBnKjU

Seems to be a video made by someone who patented a through-wall double-sided box.Â* Really?Â* A patent for the obvious?

It's crazy that these don't exist.

I like the idea but...

Wire fill limits?

Would there be enough depth for two back-to-back switches?