Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Carriage lock screw - Any reason not to

On 2019-05-13, Bob La Londe wrote:

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 12 May 2019 20:29:25 -0700
Bob La Londe wrote:

snip
I've been thinking about about making a taller head replacement bolt,
drilling it for a small vise handle. I've got a bit of 4140QT shaft on
hand and a bit of 1/4" 1144 rod. Making it should be no big deal. Any
reason why I shouldn't...

Another idea is to make it such that your chuck key fits it...

**** Not a bad idea, and I do have a location specifically for the chuck
key(s), but which chuck key depends on which chuck I have on the lathe.

If you have only two lathe chucks -- make a wrench with two
ends, and the tommy-bar in the middle.

I bought a cheap set of HF metric ratchet wrenches that have reverse on
them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-m...set-68833.html

I leave the 12mm on/in the tail stock locking bolt. One more idea

Cheap and not capable of much torque -- but quite likely
sufficient for your specified needs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--