Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,alt.windows7.general
micky micky is offline

Default Cars play songs on flash drive in alphabetical order by file name.

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 15:50:27 -0400, Big Al
wrote:

On 5/15/19 3:28 PM, micky wrote:
Windows relevance at the end.

Last year I posted about the 3 cars I ended up having in one 2 month
rental period, and about the flash drive I had made that had about 800
songs on it from the 50's and early 60's, that I recorded off of
181.FM-oldies, one of several internet radio station from the same
company, with a little advertising. Easy to play and record using
RadioMaximus, a free program. (the paid version will do scheduled
recording, but I just let it run for 2 days.)

And it will record each song separately but the first two seconds of
each song are attached to the previous song, and the only way to hear it
correctly is to play the songs in the order they were recorded.**

And I said how the Nissan Micra and the Hyudai i10 insisted on playing
them in order alphabetically by file name. So all the Brenda Lee songs
played in a row, etc. But then I got a Honda something or other and it
worked fine. (At home I use a cigarrette lighter player FM-transmitter
and that works fine too.)

So this year I started with a Mazda 2 and iirc it worked fine, but the
key was stolen and the next car is a 2019 Honda Jazz (Fit) and it has 4
options for play order. BUT NONE are the order in which the songs
reside on the flashdrive. It's either random, or in order by file name,
or repeating the same song over and over, or one other choice, so last
year the Honda worked fine but this year it doesn't work right anymore.

It's sort of like the fact that Windows file managers will sort on any
field hat has a column header, but they will not display files in the
order in which they appear on the HDD or the flash drive. For that you
need DOS and the option iirc dir /u for unsorted.

**In fact, since in File Managers I display most files with the newest
at the top, it would copy them that way to the flash drive. I had to
reorder them with the oldest at the top to copy them in the order
recorded so they might play in the order recorded.

Can you use some bulk rename utility to number then so the filenames
have a 3 digit # in front of the real file name? Bulk Rename Utility
is one that comes to mind.

That would work. Is there any problem renaming every file on a flash
drive? Something about not being able to write to the drive too many
times?

Bigger question: Is it going to read the files in the order they are on
the drive? I think the answer must be yes.

Not like the car does and use alphabetical or some other order.

( BTW, the car displays the song number, and it will say first #651 for
example, then 652 next, then 653, even though they're by the same artist
and I know they were not recorded one after the other. )

I installed program, dl'd the manual but the flash drive is in the car
so I'll actually do this later. Thanks. Great idea.

I do that a lot, as I like my mp3's I lull myself to bed with to be in a
certain order too.

In the car I don't want the songs to lull me to sleep, but whatever
works for you.

Al