Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan[_34_] Dan[_34_] is offline

Default Normal A/C on / off cycle durations?

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 12:06:01 PM UTC-7, Dan wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 2:59:20 PM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 5:29:51 PM UTC-4, Dan wrote:
My situation even tho it would appear to be short cycling isn't quite accurate. My issue is run time. Typically as if now in AZ it's 90 pit and run time is 5 minutes and off time 17. So this truly by definition wouldn't be short cycling would it?. Anyways I've known for years system is indeed oversized and tried to compensate with my lux swing settings. Usually kept set at 2 with set at 77. It's just becoming uncofortable though as temps per display shows 78 when it comes on even though should be 77.50. Anyways today I'm trying something new, set temp for 76 with a 6 swing. Run time now is 17 minutes with off being around 15. Air feels much more comfortable yet worried now on $$ as times are tough. Last thing I want is a more $$. SRP bill shows $170 this month estimate thus far... That's with my normal 77 with 2 swing. Anyways I wanted to ask you guys how would you best handle this issue. Short cycling doesn't quite point to my issue I suppose to the letter. How old you guys handle this?.. not enough funds for new AC unit and not wanting crazy bulls either, but don't want to feel like I'm in a fireplace either. Thank you all for any ideas or suggestions on this. Bless.

Why did you go from 77 with a 2 deg swing, to 76 with a 6 deg swing?
Why not pick something in between, like 3? I couldn't live with a 6 deg
swing. Also I don't understand if it was running 5 mins on, 17 off how
it could go to running 17 on and 15 off? That means it went from running
about 23% of the time to running 53% of the time? Something doesn't add
up, but if it's running that much, I see why you're concerned about
power usage. I'd settle for a compromise where it runs a little longer,
but still keeps the temp within an acceptable range. The disadvantage
to short cycling is it will use somewhat more energy and it's additional
wear on the compressor, fan etc with excessive starts, but I wouldn't
obsess over it either. It may not really affect the compressor life
that much, if at all. You don't say how old this system is, what the
operating costs are, etc. If it's old and inefficient, they payback
for a new right sized system might not be that long in AZ.

Thanks. The 5 minutes run was when it was 77 with 2 swing. Seeing that isn't much run time, i changed it to 76 with 6 swing to increase runtime.. which it worked, ran 17-20 minutes. why 76, well we want to keep house at 77, so to simulate that yet allow more run, i did 76 with 6 swing, which should place it at 77.5. The off time tho is quite large. Just trying to find a happy medium where it will run longer to condition air better, yet not kill us in $$ or tax the machine to much. from all i read to properly work efficiently it needs to run 10 minutes or more... Our air always feels well not crisp in the house, hence why also i changed it to run longer and that has worked.. but the off time is rough....

The system is older... 9 years... house is 1100 square feet and the builder placed a 4 ton here.... yes 4 ton, and its way over sized of course..... hence my issues. have to make do as money is tight, so trying to be comfortable and yet save money and baby the ac. Sorry if my post is a bit confusing, i have been dealing with this for a long time to find that sweet spot and its driving us crazy...... thank you for your time.

For clarification.. With the lux the swing is

1 = .25
2 = .50
3 = .75
4 = 1

so when I did 6 swing at set 76 that would have been 77.5F
etc..