Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Normal A/C on / off cycle durations?

On 5/14/2019 5:29 PM, wrote:
My situation even tho it would appear to be short cycling isn't quite accurate. My issue is run time. Typically as if now in AZ it's 90 pit and run time is 5 minutes and off time 17. So this truly by definition wouldn't be short cycling would it?. Anyways I've known for years system is indeed oversized and tried to compensate with my lux swing settings. Usually kept set at 2 with set at 77. It's just becoming uncofortable though as temps per display shows 78 when it comes on even though should be 77.50. Anyways today I'm trying something new, set temp for 76 with a 6 swing. Run time now is 17 minutes with off being around 15. Air feels much more comfortable yet worried now on $$ as times are tough.

Something does not sound right. More run time will remove more moisture
and increase comfort. Of course as you already know an oversized unit
does not run as long to get the temperature down. More run time also
means higher cost.

The 6 degree swing will increase run time giving you at least temporary
comfort, but the off time would be increasingly getting uncomfortable.
It then has to work harder to get to the low setting. I think as long
as the AC is blowing dry air you feel comfortable.

As an aside, many years ago my father was the plant engineer at a
printing plant. Humidity control was important and on cool damp days it
would be very high. They would run the heat and AC at the same time to
maintain both temperature and low humidity. You can do that too, but
obviously it would be very expensive.