Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Do these 'lytics need to be replaced?

On 2019/05/14 1:29 p.m., three_jeeps wrote:
On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 12:36:34 PM UTC-4, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 5/14/2019 9:54 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Are these "bulging"?Â* How much bulge is too much?Â* Or is _any_ bulging
to much?Â* "If you can see that it's not flat, it's too much"?

https://imgur.com/GymXlUb

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks for all the prompt and helpful replies.

This is my step son's amp and I have decided that I'm not going to do
any repair that might not be perfect in his eyes. So I'm going to
return it and let him know that the caps should be replaced.

"not going to do any repair that might not be perfect in his eyes"
Hmmm strange choice of words? How are you quantifying a 'perfect repair'?
Would 'perfect' mean replacing all components that may have been degraded? hence these caps are the first step. Do you suspect others? Carbon resistors change resistance with age...going to replace all of them?
How old is the amp? Is it experiencing any other abnormalities?

This might be the level of restoration where you hollow out the old part
and put the new part inside and then seal it back up... early vintage
(1920s) radio collectors enjoy doing that!

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com