Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Oldtimer question (valves/tubes)

On Sun, 12 May 2019 19:28:17 +0200, Look165 wrote:

ECC81 is the same.

Yes, and fortunately I did have some spare new ones to try (on the
suggestion of a pal of mine who I would have ignored were it not for the
fact that he's 20 years my senior and has a doctorate in electronics). It
didn't fix the problem - unlike him I didn't expect it to - but did tend
to suggest that the issue was one of poor biasing (for whatever reason)
as I'd expected.
Sadly the thing has passed its prime by many years. It's not worth
continuing with when you discover the many and various pot cores have
nearly all been shattered by some dimwit who didn't know what he was
doing.