Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grizzly G4011 30" Sheet Metal Machine

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 16:22:02 -0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:18:02 +0000, eacars wrote:

/Hello, I just Picked up a Grizzly G4011 3in 1 Brake Shear Roll machine.
When I got it home, I tried to rotate the crank and the right "leading"
side of the cutter blade would bottom out against the right side frame.
It is supposed to clear to rotate completely to roll metal of different
lengths. The cutter bar bolts to each side arm so there is no adjustment
to raise shear blade. [...]
I cannot figure out why the right side of the blade bottoms out against
the support frame just enough to keep it from rotating. I remove the
shear blade and it rotates fine. [...] The only thing
I can do is notch the side frame a little to let the blade clear as it
comes down. But I was wondering if anyone has experienced this .[...]

On my 30" 3-in-1 similar to that one, I haven't had any problems rotating
the handle continuously when making cylinders. I have had the problems
that Jim Wilkins mentioned, where shear adjustments are finicky and
thick material doesn't cut well. I mostly use my 3-in-1 for bending
pans and trays after cutting out the metal with a shear like https://
www.harborfreight.com/14-gauge-4-amp-heavy-duty-metal-shears-62213.html
which can cut nice straight lines quickly.

Maybe there was a manufacturing error on your shear blade and it's
slightly too long. I think it would be a mistake to notch the side
frame; that might allow a crack to start. Instead grind the end
of the cutter blade and make it a bit shorter.

NEVER notch cast iron! It will start a crack you will never stop

__

"Poor widdle Wudy...mentally ill, lies constantly, doesnt know who he is, or even what gender "he" is.

No more pathetic creature has ever walked the earth. But...he is locked into a mental hospital for the safety of the public.

Which is a very good thing."

Asun rauhassa, valmistaudun sotaan.

---