Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default My First Punch and Die - Makers & Builders

On 4/25/2019 1:42 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
...What about a machinist... No. Just ask any old manual machinist.
I'm just a hack, button pushing, shade tree, wannabe by the very
fact that I never serviced apprenticeship for 3 lifetimes in a steam
powered line shop. LOL.

Hmmm, at age 18 I did operate machine tools in a factory with overhead
line shafts and leather belts. Can I call myself a machinist?

Only if it was steam (water wheel is ok) powered and the old guys in the
shop always sneered down their noses at you and said you weren't a real
machinist if you didn't serve an apprenticeship beating metal over an
anvil first.