Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is there any way to test a STK463 Audio Amp chip?

On Saturday, 20 April 2019 03:55:00 UTC+1, wrote:
tabby wrote:

** I gave up all interest in working for hi-fi importers when I heard that 90% of the work was in fixing damn cassette decks. Although I have worked on a few for regular customers, I have never owned one.

However, I did buy a Brenell RR transport fitted with "Sonic" heads from Geoff at RDS in the late 1970s. Built all the necessary electronics and had it working nicely - the goal being to record live music broadcasts from 2MBS FM.

Unfortunately, even at 15ips the loss of quality was too great for my liking and I also found the same thing when I tried a Teac 1/4 inch half track in the role. Modulation noise, tape hiss and loss of definition ( IM distortion ?) were all too evident. Mind you, I was listening via Quad ESLs..

The only tape recorder that came close was a VHS Hi-Fi video loaned to me by a customer. That could copy an all digital CD of classical piano with negligible loss. Funny how they never caught on as audio recorders.

Consumers all seem to prefer convenience over sound quality.

.... Phil

Yes - there were several better cassette formats than compact cassette,
but CC is what won.

** A massive irrelevance.

NT

** NT = Nutcase Thornton serial pest and troll

..... Phil

If only you hadn't been dropped on your head.

NT