Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default How do you recycle solar panels?

On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 1:40:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 4:55:21 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:

Have any of you lived really close to a nuclear power plant? There was a 20MW facility across the street from my barracks at Ft. Greely, Alaska. It was supposed to be either the first, or one of the first that was tied into a power grid.

It had no cooling towers. Instead, they pumped the used cooling water back into the ground, less than 500 feet from the wells that supplied our drinking water.

People who lived and worked there are reporting Thyroid cancer. It was shut down when I arrived. They had gone back to using diesil powered generators, because the experimental facility was so unreliable. The control room was filled with concrete, to seal it off after it was decommissioned.

We are in the 10-mile radius of Berwick Nuclear at our summer house - when the wind is blowing in the right direction we see the plume from the cooling towers. And when they test the sirens, we do sit up and take notice.

We are about 35 miles from Limerick at home.

Please explain to all of us how that compares with being one city block from a early prototype reactor that you could walk to within 100 feet? Are the people in those areas experience high numbers of cancers, due to contaminated drinking water? Are you close enough to be affected by radioactive leaks? Would you want to live and work in buildings that were heated with radioactive steam, caused by leaking pipes in the reactor?

Here is a PDF about the history of the SM-1A reactor at Greely. It was a prototype that was assembled at that base because the local population off base was ~400 people. On top of this, the area was used to test chemical and biological weapons. Observe the dates in that report. I was there in '73 & '74.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d_UR042oPubDW2

I ended up there after testing out of a three year EE and Broadcast Engineering school. That was much further than 200 miles from my home, and at one time it was part of Russia.

Of course, you lefties look down on those of us who willingly serve or who have served in our Military. Serving in Alaska was considered overseas duty, BTW.