Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Trevor Wilson[_4_] Trevor Wilson[_4_] is offline

Default Is there any way to test a STK463 Audio Amp chip?

On 19/04/2019 7:21 pm, wrote:
Trevor Wilson wrote:

Back when I was service manager for Marantz
Australia, I replaced a hundred or so of the things.

** I thought " Service Managers " let others do the soldering iron jockeying?

**When I first started, I had a junior tech to do the work I didn't
like. That said, when I started there, I had no experience with cassette
decks and he did. I was able to learn quite a bit from him. About a year
later, the company ran into financial difficulties and they sacked my
junior tech. Another year passed and the company hired another tech for
me to boss around. I also got a full time spare parts lady.

Not so reliable, but easy to replace.

** Trouble is the part is not internally current or VI limited, so not short circuit proof, relying on DC rail fuses instead.

Reliable enough, long as the user is careful with speaker wiring and such.

**Correct. It was what Marantz called: "value engineering". Up 'till the
SR range, all Marantz receivers and amplifiers employed excellent VI
limiting systems, along with discrete transistor output stages and full
steel construction. When the boss excitedly told me about this "value
engineering" malarky, I grew suspicious. When I saw the result, I was
profoundly disappointed. It was crap. Timber top covers and, in some
cases, Masonite base plates. Urk. Lousy heat dissipation. Gone was the
beautiful backlit dials. It was so sad. Marantz was then (partly) sold
to Philips. Philips actually improved things considerably and the SR
series was consigned to the dustbin of history.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

---