Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Pat[_25_] Pat[_25_] is offline

Default How to fix the goo that occurs on some electronic enclosures?

On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 20:04:08 +0100, N_Cook wrote:

On 17/04/2019 19:15, three_jeeps wrote:
On Tuesday, April 16, 2019 at 1:56:07 PM UTC-4, three_jeeps wrote:
I am an EE, not a chemist so I am looking for a solution to this issue.
I have a few electronic devices such as Foscam PTZ network camera and a Targus slide clicker, both of which have this issue. The black case of these devices seems to have suffered a breakdown of the surface of the enclosure that results in a very sticky feel along with the disappearance of some of the lettering on the buttons, case, etc.
They haven't been exposed to a lot of sunlight, temp extremes, chemicals of any sort, etc.

The sticky substance seems to be only on the exposed outside surfaces.
I have tried to remove/stabilize the stickyness with: alcohol (isopropal, ethel, methel), acetone, MEK, mineral spirits, carbon-tet, even tried the dreaded (in my book) WD40. Nothing helped. I know that some of these chemicals might soften certain types of plastics, but I figured what the hell.....

Nothing has fixed the problem, and I hate to toss this stuff. Actually I am more interested in what the problem is and a cure for it - if any.
Thanks
John

To elaborate a bit further and answer some questions posed by others below....
1. The Targus 'clicker' seemed to have a rubberized feel to it (to increase grippiness) but it feels like a extremely thin layer of a coating
The Foscam PTZ enclosure has a matte texture/feel to it but I can't determine if it has a coating or not
2. Smell? well my smell sense is not that great, yes, maybe a very slight 'sweet'
3. Same condition as rubber component breakdown? no. it is not hardened (as in rubber capstan rollers, etc. It is more sticky and a slightly gooey, but nothing comes off or stretches when it is handled.
4. I have a bottle of 'rubber restorer' that I use on tape decks, old phonographs, etc. I'll try that but I see it as a softener and if the gear I have is already 'soft' I didnt see this a very helpful.
Brake fluid. I'll try that. Thanks

It is annoying to think that this stuff is 5 yo or less and it has decayed like this. This seems like a situation that should be understood & resolved.

Sustained unusual humidity or temperature ?

I had that same issue with a Grundig G6 portable AM/FM/SW radio. After
a number of years (maybe 7 or 8), the non-slip material on the outside
of the case turned gooey/sticky. Like the OP, I tried all sort of
things (alcohol,etc) without luck. I found a post somewhere where
someone recommended a solvent to fix it and ordered some. It still
wasn't easy to get the goo off, but I did eventually remove it. The
radio still worked great. I wish I could remember the stuff I used.
I will try to find it and add to this thread if I succeed. By the
way, there was no unusual temperature or humidity involved. The radio
was in a desk drawer in an air conditioned house for 99.9 % of the
time.

Pat