Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Opinions for Wheel Barrow Handles

On 4/17/2019 8:26 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 4/17/2019 6:34 AM, Sonny wrote:
Have two 5-6 cu ft wheel barrows, each with a broken handle.Â*Â* I don't
have appropriate hickory, but do have several 5" X 5" X 10' rough cut
ash.

Would ash be reasonably strong/durable for making handles?Â* I'm
suspecting so, since ash is used for baseball bats.Â*Â* It's been a long
while since I've looked at the ash, but I suppose there is some
straight grained stuff among the 5Xs.

Thanks.
Sonny

I was thinking the same about ash. It's very strong and durable but also
known for it's bending qualities, which is why they use them for bats. I
can't see going wrong with using it.

For the subject purpose it'll work well...

For major leagues, maple has supplanted ash (I saw somewhere a few years
ago that like 75% of MLB players were using it)...it's harder but still
"light enough" that can make a bat that can swing and the harder surface
results in higher exit velocity than ash...but I've also seen that
recently birch is making inroads and has been tested in summer leagues...

Louisville Slugger isn't even the dominant manufacturer in ML's any
more--Marucci is.

Is nothing sacred?