Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Mono Stereo

Stereo fm is far worse s/n to Mono FM. Many DAB stations are in mono
whereas they are stereo on FM R4 extra and Smooth etc.
I doubt anyone would fit a mono radio in a car these days, but there has
for a long time been a progressive monoising circuit around that moves
gradually to stereo as the signal level drops its supposed to be less
annoying than the hiss from the stereo when itt is hanging on in bad areas.
Its simply a mixer of the channels as the signal level drops below a set
level. Some are frequency tailored as well. I think I'm right in saying the
idea was invented by Phillips originally.
However for DAB you need to ask Offcom not us. We will soon start this
argument about restricting bit rates to cram more dross in at the expense
of quality and the boiling mud mess you get on DAB over DAB plus.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
Hi All,

There was a discussion on the FB self help forum for Peugeot 1007 owners
recently...

Someone said the standard radio fitted was mono
Someone else said stereo,mono,stereo,mono....

After a while he clarified,?and said certainly the UK
Models have CD Radios where the CD is stereo, but the tuner is mono.

Is this common?

Is it penny pinching?

Does it give a better S/N ratio?

???