Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default How do you recycle solar panels?

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 8:43:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, 15 April 2019 21:55:21 UTC+1, Michael Terrell wrote:

Have any of you lived really close to a nuclear power plant? There was a 20MW facility across the street from my barracks at Ft. Greely, Alaska. It was supposed to be either the first, or one of the first that was tied into a power grid.

It had no cooling towers. Instead, they pumped the used cooling water back into the ground, less than 500 feet from the wells that supplied our drinking water.

People who lived and worked there are reporting Thyroid cancer. It was shut down when I arrived. They had gone back to using diesil powered generators, because the experimental facility was so unreliable. The control room was filled with concrete, to seal it off after it was decommissioned.

Sounds like an unusual plant. Every generation method causes deaths, nukes have as good a record as any other.

NT

It was one of the first that was built. and it was part of a military experiment to see how a nuclear power plant would preform in the -40F and lower winter temperatures. It was still in the early days of designing these facilities. There is a brief description on this web page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Greely,_Alaska