Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 8:19:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 16:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell
wrote:

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 6:35:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
What do you guys use for chassis wiring on old tube gear?

In the old days, when I needed to replace some bad wires in an old tube
radio, I just salvaged some from old tube tv sets. But dont have them
anymore. Looking on places like ebay, I see suitable sized wire, but
most is rated at 300v or usually less. MUCH LESS.

My local hardware stores have "Automotive wire" which is generally
thicker than I need, but also rated at lower voltages than what is in a
lot of tube gear.

Personally, I cant see that thick insulation failing at 500v or so, but
it is a concern.

Alpha and Belden still appear to manufacture 600V hookup wire. Newark and
other industrial suppliers still sell it.

Automotive wire is not designed for high voltage work, but if you like fires, go
ahead and use it. The 'thicker insulation' is to prevent abrasion, not to provide
insulation for high voltages.

I generally dont buy from those big industrial companies. Mostly because
they have minimum orders, charge high shipping and handling, and in this
case I imagine I'd have to buy huge spools. At my age, and since this is
just a hobby, I dont want to spend a fortune on wire I'll never use most
of. Plus I'd like an assortment of colors.

Most of the shopping I do for antique parts is from small sellers who
cater to antique restorers, or from ebay. But I have not found any
sellers who sell suitable wire. My ideal would be five or six 25 foot
spools of assorted colors.

One thing that does work, is common house wiring. Most of that is rated
at 600V, but the thinnest gauge is #14. Hard to use because it's too
thick.

Another thing I have done is to strip insulation off house wire, and use
it for "spaghetti" on component leads. That works well.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...AmgxE ALw_wcB

If you send a check with the order, they were paying the shipping. I will no longer reply to anything you post.