Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Analog - Digital TV question

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 6:26:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 00:10:45 -0500, Fox's Mercantile
wrote:

On 4/12/19 11:23 PM, wrote:
I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver".

You been under a rock for the past 10 years?
They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio
portion be received by my receiver or not?

There is no 'Audio Portion', there is a data stream containing both the video and one or more audio channels, and there may be one or more sub channels per the old bandwidth. Those 'stereo receivers' had a coil to pick up the horizontal sweep, which was used to separate the analog audio signal into two channels like Stereo FM, but the pilot frequency was 15.734KH instead of 19KHz. You not only don't have the analog audio, you can't recover the non existent NTSC horizontal signal. Other than a very few Low Power stations or translators, the thing is useless.

Ignore Jeff. He's an angry Liberal who has never worked at a TV station as an Engineer.