Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1939/40 Harley trans questions

It was oh so well fitted in the '39 tranny case ... the main clutch
gear/thrust bearing race . Had a perfect fit , rolled smoothly ,
everything was going oh so well . But then I found a 1940 trans that was
pretty much complete , and a lot of the parts were in better shape than
the '39 trans I had . Two factors influenced my decision to swap to the
'40 case , there's a (non-critical) piece broken off the '39 , and the
'40 has a spring loaded ball and detent system to lock the shifter drum
.. So I pressed the race out of the '39 case and into the '40 . And all
at once the rollers didn't fit so well . Clutch gear wants to walk into
the case when rotated one way , out of it when turned the other . Turns
out the hole in the case is egg shaped , .0015" wider than it is tall .
So here's the question : I want to set the case up in the milling
machine and use my boring head to make it round . This will take about
..00075" from the top and bottom , and I'm worried I won't have as tight
a press fit as I think is needed . So I'm wondering if using a Loctite
sleeve retaining compound will be acceptable to keep things stationary .
Having that race spin in the case would be a Very Bad Thing ... My other
option , is to repair the '39 case and re-machine the shift cam plunger
hole to accept the '40 spring plunger assembly . Shift cams are the same
except for the locking area and will swap . I'm finally getting to a
point that I have room to work on at least the sub-assemblies to get
this bike back on the road . I'm not worried about "ruining" original
parts , this bike is a mutt anyway and a modified part that I can use
beats a broken part any day .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old