Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike S[_4_] Mike S[_4_] is offline

Default LiIon charger ct (correction: NiCad)

On 4/6/2019 4:50 PM, Mike wrote:
On 4/6/2019 3:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 13:40:38 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I was about to say... I don't do much electrical work any more, but
an electric drill battery that is lithium ?
I've never heard that.

Most every cordless electric drill made in the last 3 years uses
lithium ion batteries.Â* I have a modest collection of DeWalt cordless
tools that run on LiIon batteries.Â* I don't own one (yet), but you can
get just about any power tool with LiIon battery power.Â* For exmple:
https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/shop-by-cordless-platform
https://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/flexvolt/flexvolt-tools
I recently had to clear a fallen tree and borrowed a LiIon powered
chain saw because of a noise problem.Â* It worked very nicely. However,
I didn't rush out and buy one because of the $500 tool+battery cost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5J9pI8bUno
I've also converted my ancient Makita NiCd and NiMH electric drills to
run on LiIon batteries.Â* The battery has to be charged externally
using a RC model airplane charger, but that was easy enough.

Or, just go to Home Despot and look at the power tool section.Â* I
would guess(tm) that about 90% of the cordless tools offered use a
LiIon battery.Â* You can still find NiCd and NiMH powered cordless
tools, but those are decreasing in number.

FWIW, Ryobi 18V is the tool of choice for cheapskates.
Not the best, or the most reliable, but for occasional use,
I've never had one fail.
Their old 18V NiCd tools run just fine off the new 18V lithium batteries.
The newer chargers can charge NiCd or lithium.
And NiCd is always dead when you need it.Â* Lithium holds it's charge
forever, or thereabouts.

There are a lot more of them in the wild, so they make up a
high percentage of garage sale and Goodwill Bargains.Â* I've never
bought a bad battery operated tool at a garage sale.Â* But the batteries
themselves are always bad...that's why they're there. Just picked up
a Ryobi 18V circular saw at Goodwill for $7, no battery.Â* The like-new
carbide blade
would have cost more than that.

$70 on sale at Home Depot will get you two brand new tools with
batteries and charger.
Then fill out the set from garage sales and thrift stores.
Sure beats having five different brands with incompatible (and likely dead)
batteries.

I tried to sell my box of random tools/batteries/chargers and nobody
made an offer at all.

Great idea, thanks.