Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LiIon charger ct (correction: NiCad)

On Saturday, 6 April 2019 01:31:55 UTC+1, Mike S wrote:
On 4/5/2019 5:17 PM, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 6 April 2019 00:21:02 UTC+1, Mike S wrote:
On 4/5/2019 9:16 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 00:58:45 -0700, Mike S wrote:

I was given an electric drill that uses 12V lithium ion batteries
because the charger didn't work and the batteries died and the owner
lost interest.

The photo is NOT a LiIon charger, which would include an IC to control
the voltage and current to the battery.

Perhaps it might be useful if you would disclose the maker and model
number of the drill and charger? The battery type could then be
easily researched.

It is possible to convert a NiCd or NiMH drill to operate from a LiIon
battery. Is this what the former owner has done? If so, you will
need a much better LiIon battery charger designed specifically to
charge a LiIon battery.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I screwed up assuming it was Lithium Ion, it is not.

Black & Decker FSB12 FireStorm 12-Volt 1.2-Amp Hour NiCad Battery

Battery failure leaves them with a residual value of zero. You could cobble a battery pack together from other dead packs, putting test-good cells together, but once one cell dies the others follow.

NT

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I don't know if the batteries work or not,
the charge adapter ct. bd. had R2 blow up, and the transformer had a bad
primary winding. The batteries may be good.

IIRC it was already been explained that those are most likely the result of bad batteries. You might be lucky & it was just caused by accidental shorting. Bodge-charge the battery pack (safely) & find out.

NT