Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] bruce2bowser@gmail.com is offline

Default Annual Spring Cautionary Post

On Friday, March 15, 2019 at 7:21:33 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, March 14, 2019 at 9:57:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Do poisonous snakes like curling up in old radio speakers in barns?

For that, three things would have to happen:

a) That there are poisonous snakes in the area.
b) That they are tolerant of humans and human odors.
c) That there is sufficient prey in the immediate area that they should go there in the first place.

Here in the US, and specifically, here in the mid-Atlantic area, there are poisonous snakes - being Eastern Diamondbacks (exceedingly rare),Timber Rattlesnakes, and Massasauga Rattlesnakes (rare) and copperheads. Of the four, only the copperhead will be found near human habitation, and then, only if near water of some nature. Each and every one is far more afraid of people than we should be of them. And, only the copperhead is aggressive when approached. The others, only when cornered.

In my many years in this area, I have had to kill only one (1) rattlesnake (Timber), as it had take up residence on a favorite walking path for us and for our dogs and despite much encouragement over several weeks, would not be moved. That our neighbor, on whose property it lived, also had small children made the task easier.

Now, black snakes, racers and any of several other non-poisonous snakes are quite happy to reside near and with humans - we are filthy creatures in their eyes and bring lots of good food/vermin with us. And, the state of ignorance being what it is, there are those who would mistake a corn snake for a copperhead.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1546024104

http://www.herpnet.net/Iowa-Herpetol...-Van-Buren.jpg

This is not to suggest it would never happen, but that snake in that speaker is far more likely to be a harmless
variety than one poisonous - at least here in the US in pit-viper territory. Coral snakes (Southeast and Southwest)
would almost never be seen, and almost never be found anywhere near humans. Their needs are so specific
as to make that barn radio speaker physically untenable.

Well, great!! All that makes things sound a little safer. Its just that I recently saw this quote around the internet: "About 25 species of venomous (poisonous) snakes are native to the United States" and I got to wondering (as anyone would) about old barns that no one has set foot in since 1982, etc...